MIUI 12.5 is the latest version of Xiaomi’s customization layer. It comes installed in its most recent models and has some advanced options that will allow you to use your device in a more personalized way. In this article we tell you the best tricks for MIUI 12.5 that you should put into practice right now if you have a Xiaomi mobile.
Uninstall some of the applications that come from the factory
Many of the applications that are included in MIUI can be removed without too many complications. And we mainly refer to embedded software, such as voice recorder or QR code scanner. If you use other alternatives, you don’t have to keep two applications of the same type installed on the terminal. Simply, make a long press on its icon and use the button Uninstall. If you don’t see that option, then it means that the app cannot be removed because it is considered part of the system.
Add an effect for your notifications
MIUI 12.5 is characterized by being a very adaptable system. In this sense, one of the settings that we recommend enabling is the light effects when receiving notifications. Most of them illuminate one or more areas of the screen when a new message or email arrives. If you want to adjust this option to your needs, follow these steps.
- Access the MIUI settings.
- Press on Always-on screen and Lock screen.
- Tap on Notification effect.
- Customize the light effect that the phone will emit when a new notice arrives.
You have three effects, in addition to the possibility of asking the phone to turn on the screen when receiving a notification.
Make the screen wake up when you pick up the phone
Activating the screen when you pick up the phone has some benefits. For example, it allows you to take a look at recent notifications and quickly unlock the device with facial recognition. It is also useful for see the time without touching a single button or to enjoy Xiaomi superfunds, which we will talk about later. You will find this parameter if you do the following:
- Enter the MIUI settings application.
- Tap on the section Always-on screen and Lock screen to see more options.
- Activate the slider that you will see next to Lift to activate.
Do not forget that this setting can cause the screen to turn on sometimes by mistake, when the accelerometer detects certain movements. As a consequence, it is normal to notice an increase in battery consumption and a reduction in the autonomy of the device.
Set dark mode to enable only
The dark mode will help you improve the autonomy of your Xiaomi, especially if it has an OLED screen. Of course, it is also recommended if you are going to use the phone in poorly lit areas or at night. In the latter case, the programming option that MIUI includes is really necessary. It is available if you do this:
- Enter the MIUI 12 settings.
- Click on the section Screen.
- Press on Schedule dark mode.
- Choose one of the options that you will see on the screen.
Sunset to sunrise is the setting that you must select if what you want is that the dark mode is activated automatically in the hours with less sunlight. On the other hand, use Personalize to indicate the activation time manually.
Adjusts the intensity of the tactile response
Follow these instructions to adjust the response to the touches of your Xiaomi with MIUI 12.5:
- Enter the settings application of your phone with MIUI.
- Press on Sound and vibration.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of options and activate the tactile responses.
- Finally, use the slider to increase or decrease the intensity of the vibration on your phone.
Do not forget that this parameter mainly affects the response that occurs when you touch certain elements, such as buttons.
Change the style of the control center
MIUI 12.5 has a particularity that affects the control center. In the latest versions of the Xiaomi layer, the user must swipe from the upper right corner of the screen to open this section of quick settings. On the contrary, if you swipe from the left, what appears on the screen are the notifications. You may be used to both items showing no matter which part of the screen you swipe from. Fortunately, the company allows you to choose what the behavior of the control center should be. You will find this setting in the settings, in the section Notifications and Control Center. There you will see the option Control Center Style. You can choose between the old version and the new version.
Activate the application drawer in MIUI 12
Historically, MIUI has imitated iOS and has not included an app drawer. In its version 12 (and also in some previous ones) it is possible to enable this element to which so many users are accustomed. Do it this way:
- Open the section Starting screen phone settings.
- Press again on the section Starting screen.
- Choose the version Classic not to use the app drawer. Or tap on With the App Drawer to activate it.
This move by Xiaomi has a certain logic. After all, in iOS 15 there is also an application drawer.
Modify the size of the icons
If the size of the icons seems too big or small, MIUI has the option to easily modify their dimensions. Go back to the settings section Starting screen and, this time, press Icon size. Use the slider that you will see to change the size. To make choosing the right dimensions easier, MIUI shows a preview in the terminal’s own settings panel. As you can imagine, it is possible to use this setting even when you have implemented a theme from the Xiaomi store.
Hide the content of your applications in the multitasking view
This is a trick that interests you if you are concerned about your privacy. As you know, in the multitasking view a small screenshot of the content of each application is shown. This can be a problem, especially when you are going to teach something on your device to a friend or family member. To avoid this, you have the option to blur the content of certain applications in the recent tasks view. Just go to Starting screen in the settings, click on Blur app previews and select the apps you want. From now on, when these are displayed in the task view, their content appears out of focus and will be impossible to see.
Use the superfunds to fully customize the system
Xiaomi has designed a series of superfunds that allow you to enjoy a more eye-catching visual experience. Each of them consists of three modes, one designed for the always-on view (AOD), another for the lock screen, and finally another for the home screen. As the phone transitions from one state to another, the backgrounds use transitions to create a very attractive effect. Super wallpapers are available in the wallpapers section, which you can access from the MIUI settings or by long pressing on the home screen. At the time of this writing, Xiaomi has included the following superfunds:
- Snowy peaks.
- Far rings.
- Home. The earth.
- The red planet. Mars.
Some of the super pools even allow you to choose between different landing sites. For example, in the case of Home, it is possible to choose between Croatia, China, Italy and Greenland.
Take a look at the special functions of MIUI 12
MIUI 12.5 comes with some special options that are worth spending a few minutes. They are as follows:
- Game Turbo. Specific settings to improve the experience when playing video games.
- Video Toolbox. Parameters designed to optimize video playback.
- Floating windows. Here you can change the behavior of the balloons that appear when receiving messages in applications such as WhatsApp or Telegram.
- Second space. A simple way to further protect certain data.
- Lite mode. A simple mode for less advanced users.
All of them are available in the section Special functions MIUI 12.5 settings.
Activate one-handed mode
Some of the phones that Xiaomi markets are really big. A good example of this is the Xiaomi Mi 11T, which we already faced against the Xiaomi Mi 11. To improve the use of the interface on large screens, Xiaomi has included the one-hand mode. You will find it in the settings, tapping on Additional settings. It is the place to go to activate it and to learn how it works.
Enable gestures for quick actions
Gestures allow you to launch functions quickly, such as activating the flashlight or accessing the Google Assistant. These are all the ones that MIUI 12.5 supports:
- Launch Google Assistant. Use the power button to start talking to the Google Assistant.
- Take screenshot. You can choose to swipe down with three fingers or use the volume down and power button at the same time. In this case, only the first one is optional.
- Partial screenshot. The only gesture available here is holding down a part of the screen with three fingers.
- Run the camera. Use a double tap on the power or volume down button to open the camera. Xiaomi allows you to use one or both, depending on your needs.
- Turn on flashlight. Turn on the flashlight with a double tap on the power button.
Depending on the model, MIUI may also include the option Double tap the fingerprint sensor. You can use this quick method to turn on the flashlight, access the wizard, and much more.
Finally, we explain how to change the old navigation using buttons for gestures. You must go to the device settings and enter the section Starting screen. Then tap on System navigation. Tap on Buttons to use classic navigation. On the contrary, press on Gestures to activate gesture navigation. Whether you choose one or the other, you will see some advanced options. Use them to fine-tune the browsing experience.